When to Call A Handyman and When to Call A Specialist

Many jobs around your house can be fixed by you or a general handyman. However, sometimes you need a professional who specializes in a certain home system. If it’s something that’s not potentially dangerous, such as a broken window screen or painting a room, you or a handyman can usually take care of it. But, if you risk flooding or burning down the house, call a specialist.

When to Call A Handyman and When to Call A Specialist

If It’s Under Warranty, Call a Specialist

Doing the work yourself or hiring an unlicensed handyman to fix something can void a warranty. This mostly applies to appliances, HVAC units, and similar units. Also, a handyman is unlikely to have the expertise needed to fix complicated appliances. If it’s still under warranty, call the company that installed it.

If your appliance or HVAC unit is not under warranty, you’ll likely still need to call a specialist that’s familiar with your unit, especially if it’s more complex. An inexperienced handyman can do more damage than good.

Plumbing Requires a Specialist

A handyman might be able to clear a clogged drain, but most plumbing jobs require a plumber. For example, plumber’s have specialized equipment, such as infrared cameras, to find plumbing leaks within walls or underground.

Water heaters are another thing that requires a plumber. Whether you need a new water heater installed or your existing one repaired, a plumber can do it safely.

Electrical Issues Require a Specialist

A handyman might be able to change a lighting fixture, but most electrical issues require a licensed electrician. Poorly done electrical work can easily result in an electrical fire.

Jobs such as upgrading an electrical panel require a lot of experience and expertise. The same is true of installing new wall outlets or outdoor lighting. Also, a licensed electrician might see problems that a handyman can not, such as an outdated panel or substandard wiring.

Roofing Requires a Specialist

A handyman could fix a damaged roof gutter or downspout, but if your roof is leaking, it’s better to call a licensed roofer. Pinpointing the problem takes some expertise, as does doing the repairs. If your roof has damaged or torn flashing or damaged or missing shingles, you need a professional roofer.

While a handyman could likely clean moss or mold off your roof, the underlying damage needs to be addressed by a roofer.

If a job requires a license, such as a plumbing, electrical, or roofing license, you need a specialist. Or, if poor workmanship could cause irreparable damage, such as an electrical fire, you need a specialist.