If you are going through a divorce, choosing the right divorce lawyer will probably be the most important decision of your life. Selecting the most suitable divorce lawyer for your case from such a massive pool of lawyers can be a cumbersome task but that doesn’t mean that the matter of your legal representation in the court of law is to be taken lightly.
A good lawyer ensures that your best interests are kept at the forefront of settlement negotiations while being experienced with tackling similar kind of situations. Here are some tips that’ll make your search for the perfect divorce lawyer a breeze –
- Contact people in your circle that have been through a divorce
While it may lead to some awkward conversations, talk to your friends, family or colleagues who have been through a similar situation to get a head start in your divorce lawyer hunt. Combined with the ability of researching online, first hand information can sometimes be all you need to find the perfect divorce lawyer for your case.
- Don’t blindly trust advertisements or high prices
- Don’t hire the lawyer you keep hearing about on the radio and don’t be under the notion that good lawyers charge a higher fee. While charging a higher fee may mean that the concerned lawyer has a lot of experience, it may not mean that he is the perfect lawyer for your case. Also, spending big on advertisements by a lawyer may mean that he is trying to attract business and doesn’t reflect a lawyer’s track record in any way.
- Have a look at their experience
- Having a look at a prospective lawyer’s experience is actually important just to be sure that the lawyer specializes in handling divorces. If your case involves a heavy business settlement and distribution or deciding the custodian of your children, you will have to be sure that your chosen lawyer is well versed with handling these kind of situations perfectly.
- Find a good negotiator
- While you are searching for a good divorce lawyer to secure a win in the court trials, many cases can be negotiated and settled without even going to the court. For that, your prospective lawyer needs to be a good negotiator to fetch you a good settlement avoiding trials as they eat up a lot of time, money and efforts.
Always pick a lawyer from your local jurisdiction
While some state courts don’t allow lawyers from other states to practice locally, state laws can vary drastically from state to state. Also, it’s better to pick a lawyer from your local jurisdiction as they usually have familiar relationships with the local judges and officials, which will only increase the chances of the judge ruling in your favour.
Don’t let choosing a bad divorce lawyer be the last nail of your coffin. Just follow these 5 golden tips to put your search for a right divorce lawyer on fast-track!